The Brits are so desperate to retain power over England that they are promising ever more powers to Scotland, but England is the real prize! By such means, they hope to split the vote and retain the ability to exploit England’s wealth.
The question is: Will a majority of Scotland’s voters suspect that they are being deceived by such promises? After all, if promises of additional powers being devolved to Scotland can so easily be made now, why were they not devolved years ago? More to the point, why is England the sole UK nation denied similar powers to shape our destiny as a nation?
It must be apparent that Scotland regards England as a foreign country to be exploited. Scots claim rights and privileges on the basis of moral entitlement which they and the Brits deny to England and the English; some morality that!
At heart, Cameron is a Scot as evidenced by his bias towards Scotland both in word and deed. I challenge anyone to cite any government action in recent decades which favours England over Scotland. Cameron has used the British Parliament to permit a referendum on the separation of Scotland from England despite the SNP having no mandate at UK level for a referendum on this ‘reserved matter’. Here the SNP secured six out of fifty-nine Parliamentary Constituencies ie 10% of Scotland’s MPs; hardly a convincing endorsement. Can it really be denied that Cameron has indulged the homeland of his father and his father’s fathers?
Worse, Cameron has ensured that England and the English can play no active part in this particular process which has implication for all of the UK. How dare anyone refer to Britain being a democracy when 84% of its voters are denied equality with the other 16%, not once but repeatedly. England has always been denied a referendum on a national parliament, unlike (for example) Wales which, on a Turnout of 60%, rejected a Welsh Assembly in 1979 with 79% voting ‘No’ and 20% voting ‘Yes’ ie a majority against of almost 60%!!
Now we discover that a so called ‘debate’ about the Scotland Referendum is to be broadcast tonight solely in Scotland in the first place, with England receiving its usual contemptuous treatment of being permitted to view it tomorrow (6th August).
Do we in England really need Scotland? Do we want Scotland to remain part (ostensibly) of the UK?
I do not believe we do need or want Scotland to remain part of a union with England. Too many Scots are hostile to England blaming us (as do the Irish and Welsh) for actions taken by or instigated by non-English in power such as the Hanoverians occupying the monarchy who often employed foreign mercenaries to carry out their dirty deeds. Too many Scots want their cake and ours also!
One thing which cannot now be disputed is that the referendum has created a precedent (which no doubt Scots and the Brits will deny). It is quite simply this: If Scotland may have referendum on whether to secede from the Union with England, then England may hold a referendum on whether to separate from Scotland.
Moreover, the principle is established that it may be an exclusive referendum confined to voters in England. Even so, I would not be over exercised whether voters in Scotland were permitted to record a collective opinion on this question (after all, they are so precious that they always need special treatment), because I believe that overwhelmingly, voters in England would vote to cut fractious, inward looking, self-justifying, leaching Scotland adrift together with its North Sea oil, and the majority of English voters would far exceed the number of Scottish voters opposing that!
The tail, wagging England
Scots have never been able to stomach the fact that the English have a majority and, no matter how fair and even handed we have been, they seek to subvert it by various means not least by occupying representative positions in England. Oh the irony! Scots . . . Blair, Jowell, MacTaggart, Mudie, Fox, Duncan Smith, Gove, Rifkind, McIntosh et al representing the English and England’s interests!
With them and the Brits, is it surprising that the British Parliament actually debated a proposal to make foreign imports of Eid and Diwali public holidays but have never permitted such a debate about St George’s Day. Nor is it really surprising that the debate was opened by a Conservative, Bob Blackman, MP for Harrow East.
As Gilbert & Sullivan might respond, PISH!
The country that the British establishment is clinging to!