Allan Massie is another Scot pontificating about Britishness and Englishness.
The subtitle prefixing his piece in the Telegraph “Waving the flag for Britishness ” indicates confusion within the editorial staff there if not in Mr Massie himself. It asserts that “A new survey suggests that our national pride is waning.”
Well, Mr Massie I have some news for you: Britain is not a nation; it is state comprising three nations ~ England, Scotland and Wales!
He refers to “the NHS” when we now have four such national Health Services! Do try to keep Allan!
He even nurtures the notion that we have a ‘democracy’! We may have a democratic system Mr Massie but (certainly from an English position) it falls far short of democracy!
Massie even believes that ‘the country’ [wossat?] is ‘multicultural and socially liberal’. What a (sad) joke!
Scotland hugs its culture to itself and exports it to England whilst excluding any overt symbols of Englishness. Where is the English equivalent of Burns Night or Caledonian Societies in Scotland? In common with Wales further divisions are being created with the promotion of Scottish Gaelic and Welsh.
Yes, there may be numerous cultures ~ especially in England and in the form of other languages ~ but they are largely separate in numerous communities and not integrated! Disproportionately, over 90% of immigrants come to England even though England accounts for 84% of the UK’s population.
There is widespread awareness that it is Scots in power who have created the current situation in England, which differs markedly from that in Scotland and Wales. Both Scotland and Wales [and Northern Ireland] have each been afforded devolved powers following referenda, and despite the fact of voters in Wales having been given a second referendum in 1997 having previously rejected national assembly in 1979! At no time in the seventeen years which have since elapsed have voters in England been treated equally and given a referendum for a national parliament.
Mr Massie does not mention these matters, but then, he is a Scot!! Are we to assume that these matters have not affected attitudes in England? Are we to assume that it is solely the selfish nationalism in Scotland and Wales which has started to stir the English?
It is not merely the fact of the impending Scottish Referendum which has caught attention in England; it is the selfish, exclusive, self-important, undemocratic nature of it whereby barely 8% of the UK’s voters involved in making a decision which, regardless of its outcome, affects the other 92%.
We are endlessly entertained by Alex Salmond’s pantomime dame performances about Scottish demands for fiscal unity on pain of deserting Scotland’s due share of liabilities.
While we are on the subject of Scotland’s share [part in creating] the £1.2Trillion UK National Debt, we would remind Allan Massie and all Scots that upwards of 40% ~ yes, some £500Billion ~ of the current debt was incurred as a direct result of the reckless, profligate actions of a coterie of Scottish bankers based in Edinburgh, Scotland.
It should not need to be said that, if Scotland walked away from its share of the UK’s National Debt, international financial markets would lack confidence both in Scotland’s ability to manage its finances and (worse) its integrity.
A large dollop of humility from Scots would not go amiss and would make a refreshing change from the arrogant Scottish conceit we witness daily.
Frankly, I am fast coming to the conclusion that Scotland is not England’s friend, but her enemy!
HERE IS A LINK TO ALLAN MASSIE’S PIECE: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/allanmassie/100074406/waving-the-flag-for-britishness/